Pages

Sunday 10 May 2020

Cooler Today

Thank you for the advice about rice. It may turn out to be a help - always having a serving in the freezer. And speaking of freezer food, I should be able to freeze a couple of portions of leftover soup from this evening. It was veggies, lentils, spices and garlic - very tasty. And followed with some banana bread.

I need to use up some more brown bananas so I will be making more banana bread tomorrow and possibly using up apples in chutney. That depends, of course, on whether I get back quickly from shopping.

Today I fought with an extremely inexpensive compost bin and pretty much won, but it took about an hour. It's a flat pack and turns into a sort of cheap plastic fabric type thing, and I have no idea where it's going to live in my small garden, but the tip is still closed for garden waste and I need to prune back the fuschia before it's the same size as my car - again! Father planted it and father had a track record with fuschias. I remember one from my childhood that needed to be hacked back at least twice a year, cracked a sewer pipe and was at least one storey high. I also need to work out whether I can bare to get rid of a yellow rose (currently swarming with ants for some reason) or whether I can work out how to stake it up. It's been there for years and is older than bear. I bought it incredibly cheap at a garden centre where we had gone to get coffee because it was half dead. It has a beautiful scent, but is leggy and neglected (my fault).

I also hung out with DH and bear and watched some more Victorian Farm, and I got a few more rows done of my knitting.

I'm off to watch the news now and try and work out what it means for us all.

Hugs and good health to all.

2 comments:

  1. I think our tip is reopening this week, however making your own compost is very good for the garden - just don't feed that Fuschia or it will grow like a beanstalk! I would just prune the rose - they are very tolerant and will regrow from buds lower down - but pick an outward facing bud so the new growth will be going in the right direction.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The ants will be milking the aphids. The ants protect the aphids in exchange for something they produce, it might be honeydew.

    ReplyDelete