Pages

Sunday 24 May 2020

The Ants are Back!

There were only a half dozen or so ants milling around a coffee jar, but it felt like a blow after a few days without sightings. They vanished after I sprinkled large quantities of lemon oil around. One poor thing was just running around in circles before I squished her, and I suspect that some of the bumps in the vast swathe of cinnamon are the remains of others. It caused some disruption this afternoon. Mind you, it seems that they are coming in near the washer and away from the sink, so it should be safe to use an ant trap away from the food areas. I'll put one down once the area stops smelling so strongly of lemons. I may have got a little carried away.

Since I last posted, we have had a new internet connection fitted and DH has started me on a much needed clear out. DH crammed his car full for a trip to the newly opened tip on Saturday morning and since then we have filled the garden again with black bin sacks. I found a tin of tomatoes today that expired last month, and I suspect there is even more surprises lurking in the tin cupboard since bear cleared it out. I won't keep tins of tomatoes. I don't think it applies any more, but tomatoes are acidic and it used to be wise not to use them after their expiry date in case they had worn away some of the tin they were in. I think that there is a proper coating now, but I like to play it safe. If there are any tins of beans etc that are out of date, I'll bring them to the front to use early. DH has booked a slot to visit the tip on Tuesday, but the bin bags may not all fit into the car! In which case, I can see me booking a lot more slots. I'm happy to leave it to DH as I do all the shopping and this way his car keeps turning over (and stops the battery failing), but he works from home and it's very busy for him, so he is limited to when he can go out.

Tonight's dinner was some chicken breasts cooked in the oven with tinned tomatoes, olives (very inexpensive jar from Tesco, used about a quarter), a finely chopped pepper, onion, garlic, a little stock powder and some water. It turned out really well. I wish I had remembered to add the mixed herbs, though. I need to go through my cupboards to check for casserole dishes. I got rid of a lot of mine because I wasn't using them, but now I would. I still regret the casserole that bear left at school.

Actually, I need to go through the cupboards in general. I can see me adding to the bin bags!

Hugs and good health to all. 

1 comment:

  1. I have used multiple items that are passed the due dates. Any tinned items that are only a month past would still be fine to use. This is a suggested date, not in stone. Now a year or more, I might be cautious.

    ReplyDelete