Pages

Thursday 14 May 2020

Scary Driving

Thank you for all the kind comments. Sue - that's the thing. If you use a comma, it can change the way the sentance sounds and change the rhythm of the text, but then I feel pretentious for getting so worked up about it. It's a genre novel about a monster in an alternate Victorian East End London. It's not fancy literature. I need to stress less about commas.

I need to have a think about the way I am treating the lockdown. I've been trying hard to stick to the rules, but it isn't working. My confidence in driving is all in pieces, and today, when I went for my 'big' shop, the roads were full! To be fair, one of the roads is notorius for being a difficult road. You can't let your attention wander during normal life, but I had become used to it being quiet. Now I'm not sure about my judgement. One example - cars parked either side of the road, a large van coming towards me with purpose and I just went for it. If my poor little car had another coat of paint, I swear it would have lost it. It's the sort of thing I took in my stride before, but it left me feeling very worried.

Tomorrow is the consultant's appointment, and bear is really keen on me driving. I'm worried. Parking around hospitals, especially ones that are next to the Magistrates, Crown and County courts and a university, is notoriously difficult. It's probably a little different now, as I don't think all of the courts are sitting, and a lot of the firms around there will be working from home, and the students have gone home, so that's something.

I may try a short drive most days. In that case it makes sense for me to drive, take a little exercise, pick up only what we need from somewhere sensible and go home. I can look for awkward junctions and now that the restrictions are less, I can aim for the motorway on a Sunday morning or perhaps at night. I was, as far as I could tell and according to my passengers, a safe driver before this. I need to make sure I stay like that.

And worrying about driving stops me worrying about bear and the consultant tomorrow. Thank you for all your good wishes.

Hugs and good health to all.

2 comments:

  1. I kind of think that the hospitals and universities will have loads of parking spaces at the moment. Visiting isn't allowed at the hospital and the university students are all tuck at home. Please don't worry, you are clearly a good and safe driver and you just need to build your confidence back up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. All the best and hope bear has a good outcome at the consultation. I am sure all you have learnt so far will all come flooding back when you start driving again.xx

    ReplyDelete