Pages

Saturday 2 May 2020

Dinner Fail

Today has been one of those days. Bear is much better today, though I haven't managed to get him to do any schoolwork, and DH is looking really relaxed which is great after a tough week, but I had a high gravity day. Anything that could fall did. The peaches were mouldy. I couldn't get the boxes sorted. The washing machine is still making peculiar noises and I'm worried the neighbours will complain (if they speak to me at all). Also, I broke the rice cooker by putting the water in before the bowl and so messing up the element.

So the sweet chili burgers with rice salad followed by home made chocolate cake were replaced by mini chicken kievs, frozen potato products and frozen peas followed by an ice cream from the freezer. You would not believe how much washing and ironing now needs sorting to make a space to dry bear's plushies (which may explain why the washing machine is making funny noises as it has been going non-stop) and I've pulled a muscle in my back.

On the bright side, I have a shopping opportunity for a new rice cooker. I have cooked rice on the stove and in the microwave before, but I have a lot more success with the rice cooker and it's coming up to rice salad season. The one I have is also a multi cooker, which I would quite like, but the ones I've seen are all pressure cookers, which scare me. Any recommendations welcome.

I'm going shopping on Monday. It's all quite odd. I can't just pop out for things, so I have to plan. I'm starting a list but I can see me calling into at least three stores. I have a mask now, though, and I'll use sanitiser, but it feels wrong. It's just that I'm going to have to hunt for gluten free flour, then the various places for food and drink that will not only be fit for all the food issues but also satisfy fussy eaters, and I also need to scope out dry cleaners as I need to get a throw from bear's room drycleaned. And if it's like today, I'll forget something vital. I may be able to pick up a rice cooker or variation on it then and not use up a delivery slot that is needed elsewhere.

Hugs and good health to all.

3 comments:

  1. I've read that you can kill bugs in soft toys in the freezer. Seal them in a plastic bag and freeze for several days.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry today was one of those days. Hopefully, tomorrow will be better and Monday's shopping trip will be fine. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Many years ago I picked up a leaflet from the Rice Council. Cooking rice. In a pan measure out your rice. Add three times the quantity of cold water (ie 1 cup rice 3 cups of water). Bring to the boil, turn off or remove from heat and put a lid on the pan. Leave for 15 minutes, remove the lid. The rice should be cooked and have absorbed the water. Rinse or strain according to your requirements. Good luck, its never failed for me.

    ReplyDelete