Pages

Sunday 1 August 2021

Aphids!

 Col - that's how we got the plant there. The originals were planted nearby but it self seeded in a crack, and stuff happened and the original plants died off but this one in the crack comes back every year. I'm going to have to save the seed heads next year and sprinkle them around. 

Pam - I love that they are called lady's bonnets. I shall have to call it that. 

Fifitr - thank you for the hugs. I'll let you know how the hat goes on. I'm starting on the scarf, and the way I go on, it could be a while for the hat. I agree that a lot of the veggie stuff tastes like stuffing. I'm trying to go down roads that use less meat but sort of traditionally. As bear doesn't like eggs and I can't have cheese, there are a few restrictions and I can't have anything with proper breadcrumbs, but it's worth it, I think. 

I think it's sad that the horse chestnuts were felled by rust. They are such majestic trees and I'm glad that some were saved. I'm having a long think and some YouTube searching about rust, aphids and the chances of me having a functional garden, especially as I'm deliberately making windbreaks and nooks where such things as rust and aphids and dratted rats could easily lurk. The fuschia is once again nearly as big as my car and I'm considering a flame thrower. 

As for the beans...

I went out and picked the ones that seemed a decent size. I had a look on YouTube and tried to remember the beans when I was a kid and went out picked some. There are loads of little ones coming.


They feel sticky. Even after a good wash, they still feel sticky. I consulted Google and apparently it's aphids. Those dratted things are driving me demented! They have almost seen off the courgette plant (with help from my neglect, I admit) and the tomato plants are looking very poorly. Between that and the rust, I'm wondering if I should bother trying to eat them. I may try soaking them in salt and vinegar water. 

We didn't have them for dinner. Instead I used half a jar of roasted pepper with some pickled onions with mince, some gravy granules, some peas and some brown sauce, served up with mashed potatoes. The men very much enjoyed it. I would have enjoyed the beans more. 

Hugs and good health to all. 

No comments:

Post a Comment