Pages

Sunday 18 June 2023

A Little Rain

I like sitting in the car and knitting when it's raining. It's really good for my mental health, and with one thing and another, I haven't had many chances to do it recently. Tonight, when the rumbles of thunder started, I apologised to the men, grabbed my knitting and zoomed off. I settled down in my favourite car park and it rained with a purpose. I took a pic through the car window (I wasn't opening the window - it was throwing it down)


That was when I realised that while I may have parked on a dry spot, that spot was now in standing water, so I moved.


A view of where I was previoulsy parked. 

After a while, I decided to go home as I was feeling tired. It was just as well, as the roads were running with water. There were a few moments when I was driving through puddles that were deeper than expected and I could feel the car being dragged as one side was in water and the other wasn't. I drove past Drighlington Church and water was fountaining up through the grates at the side of the road. On the opposite side of the road, I swear the water was fountaining up over two feet, and the surface of the road had risen a few inches in the centre, in line with the gushing grate, and it looked just like an enormous tarmac blister. I'm glad I didn't wait, as the roads would have been vile.

On the bright side, I don't need to water the garden. I'm supposed to go shopping tomorrow. I hope that the water has gone down by then.

In other weather related news, I had a bar of chocolate in my handbag which melted all over the insides. I don't think that I'll be able to get it out - it's right in the seams. It wasn't even a nice bar of chocolate. So when I can go shopping, I'll have to pick up a new handbag. I'm devastated, as I was finally happy with a bag, but I can't see it being anything but an attraction to ants going forward. 

Hugs and good health to all. 

2 comments:

  1. I don't think I know of anyone else who would drive somewhere, on purpose, when it is raining, in order to sit and knit in a parked car! Especially not here, where we cancel appointments and events any time it rains! :D Sorry about the chocolate bar melting in your bag!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We're sort of used to rain here, though this was a bit more than usual. Listening to the rain in the car is incredibly soothing and I recommend it - but only if you feel safe driving. If you're not used to driving in rain then don't go out unless you must. It has it's own challenges.

      Delete