Pages

Saturday 10 June 2023

Today I Ironed Brown Paper

I got my 'Heinz to Home' delivery. You can buy a tray of 24 tins of Heinz baked beans for a reasonable price. I think it comes in just under £1 per tin, which is a good deal compared to the supermarket and you don't pay postage for subscriptions. DH insists on Heinz beans, and if that's what he likes then that is what we get in. I'm considering getting Tesco beans in for when it's just me, but I'll worry about that later. 

I topped up after the last delivery, so we currently have 33 tins of beans and our next delivery is 1 August. Bear can easily go through three or four tins in a week just for him. I may need to top up again. The tins come as packs of four in a cardboard wrap, which are then inserted into a dinky, strong cardboard box with some of the brown packing paper, then six of the boxes of four tins are put in a huge, extremely strong box with further packing paper. 

I considered the packing paper. I don't use much paper towel. I mainly use cloths for cleaning and the whole 'drain on paper towel after frying' thing doesn't happen as I don't really fry much. However I do use some paper towel to scrape out the gunk in empty bowls and such, and I think that the brown paper would be fine for that. Besides, it's free and even if you add in the cost of the electric for the iron it's still less than a roll of paper towel. I had the paper left over from the last delivery as well and I thought that I may as well sort it out. I ironed it and tore it along the perforations in the paper.


I plan to pounce on paper coming in and iron it straight away (low heat, no steam). I'm taking a risk putting a plan out there, but I think it is worth going for. The regular Amazon packaging could be stashed as well. I can see me using that for all sorts of things, including Christmas wrapping paper. 

And I finished the shrug. I haven't sewn it up yet, but it's done. I'm annoyed because I was knitting in the car with the yarn in a bag, and I misjudged the yarn. I thought that there was a lot less left than there was. It would have added maybe an inch, possibly two, so perhaps not a big percentage, but still, it's annoying.

I may try some french knitting or that Viking thingy, the lucet, to add to the shrug as a trim. There's about 25g left. I could always just donate it or even throw it away, I guess. 

Bear is continuing to be okay. He spent around an hour explaining the format of the Business exam that he has on Monday, together with all the different points of the curiculum. He felt a lot better afterwards, though, and seems to be fine. 

Hugs and good health to all. 

4 comments:

  1. Heinz beans here are really expensive. It makes Beans on Toast a treat lol. I've been using the brown paper to package up some Ebay items that I'm selling. You are good to iron it all!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It didn't take long to iron it, and I could fit it in between various bits. Heinz beans are getting expensive here as well - £1.40 for a tin of Heinz beans!!! I will be considering work arounds, but DH and bear love them so much.

      Delete
  2. Very good idea to save the packing paper to reuse! I saved some packing paper, myself, and used it to line some shelves! I didn't think to iron it, though! Must remember to do that, the next time!
    Oh, too bad you had some yarn leftover, but, maybe you could use it to knit some other small items (or combine it with some solid colored yarn to make a bigger item). I'm thinking socks - I'm using up some odds and ends of wool to knit myself a pair of socks, right now. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hadn't thought about lining the shelves, but that is such an obvious idea, thank you. I was thinking a scarf, perhaps stripes with black yarn...

      Delete