Pages

Sunday 11 June 2023

More Random Than Normal

Tomorrow I'm hopefully going to take time, reply to the lovely, kind comments and catch up. Or possibly the day after - school run permitting...

I finished the shrug. I haven't sewn it together yet, but I don't like it.

The sides have curled in, because it's stocking stitch. As this was from a proper, actual pattern, I didn't expect it, and the way that it's supposed to be finished means that the curled edge would be on display. The yarn band says that the yarn shouldn't be pressed (mind you, it also says hand wash dry flat and that isn't happening). I just don't think that it will work. I'm going to unpick it and re-knit it to a blanket, I think. The yarn is wonderfully warm. I was thinking perhaps something narrower than the 38 inches (nearly a metre) across, but longer, for a type of wrap. 

I've been watching the rats playing in the garden. They're looking pretty cute. As they were nibbling at a mint plant, so I guess they aren't as deterred by it as I had hoped.  

We had a really nice dinner today. It was posh beefburgers with sweet potato wedges and peas. It's not the fanciest meal, but it was so nice, and the men really enjoyed it. 

I'm watching the Unicef Soccer Aid while writing, editing and knitting. I'm feeling more random than normal.

Hugs and good health to all. 

6 comments:

  1. I hate it when the yarn curls in like that. Is there a way to stop it doing that or is it just because of the type of stitch? I don't know enough about knitting to know why lol.

    I love the thought of you sitting in your garden watching the rats. I sometimes wish I knew what the animals were saying. I'd love to know what they think when they see me ha ha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that the rats see me and think - oh bugger!

      It's stocking stitch. When you alternate knit and purl rows, it curls up and that's all there is to it. I wish I had thought about it a little more before starting.

      Delete
  2. I'm sorry the edges are curling and the shrug is not to your liking. Unpicking it and reknitting it as a blanket might be best. It's a good thing you like to knit! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Knitting is very good for my mental state, so I think I should do more!

      Delete
  3. Try blocking (gently) using a warm iron and a wet tea towel. Nicky

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought about that, and it would work because there is some wool content. On one hand, though, the piece is 44 inches by 38 inches and I don't have a lot of space. On the other hand, I'm sick of it. I've always avoided blocking, but I think I need to embrace it. Thank you - it's a great idea!

      Delete