Pages

Friday 18 June 2021

Weather Has Changed

Jean - thank you! I wish I could take some credit. 

My mind has been wandering a little (though I'm feeling better) and I thought I would share with you. Chester Racecourse is built on the Roodee, which is land reclaimed from the River Dee over the centuries as it silted up.


On the left of the picture you can see the Roman Walls, still standing after over a thousand years. On some parts you could see where the boats were moored when the river was still flowing against them and Chester was a port. I've checked on Wikipedia here and apparently it's the oldest racetrack in current use with races going back to 1539.

The reason that Chester has a racecourse is that the traditional Shrove Tuesday football match was so violent and dangerous that it had to be stopped. The city council banned the football match and set up horse races instead. Mind you, it wasn't football or soccer as we know it. It was more a heaving, violent, lawless scrum that were a hazard to the community. 

And speaking of football or soccer, England play Scotland tonight. Due to antibiotics, I'm going to have to watch it sober. At least I get to watch it. Fingers crossed we get some passionate football tonight, but nothing to get it banned and replaced with horseracing. 

1 comment:

  1. I am just about to watch the England v Scotland match. It is 5 am here in Australia. I am awake early and can't go back to slee, but having this game to watch is a bonus. Should be good. Hugs Libby x

    ReplyDelete