Pages

Tuesday 9 March 2021

Marking Time

 Helen - that's a worrying thought, that they'll bully other birds. We have had so many different types in the last few weeks. I think that they are a young pair as well, so they could be there for years! We have had magpies in the street for years, but they mainly stayed near the house next door but two and bullied the man who used to live there. Every time he left the house, they used to give their alarm call, which is grating, and the man used to be driven mad by it. I used to think it was as if they did it on purpose. Having watched a few documentaries, I'm not so sure it wasn't.

Bear goes back to school tomorrow. After several weeks of reminders, he finally packed his bag. I feel like I'm hanging on until he's back in a routine. Still, I finally finished sewing on the velcro to his onesie.


Next time I get stick on velcro, if I don't just throw the dratted thing out! My fingers are in shreds. The combination of thick plush and resistant velcro was tough. Hopefully it will withstand washing better than the stick on stuff. I'm quite glad that I didn't try and use the machine. I'm not sure that I would have been able to feed it through, and then I would have worried about broken needles. As it was, the needle got stuck a few times and I nearly went looking for pliers to get the needle dragged through. Still, it's done now and bear is, I hope, currently asleep in it. 

From tomorrow, I can perhaps catch up on some more knitting as I wait for bear. Of course, he's only in school until 26th March and then he is off again for two weeks over Easter. I have no idea what will happen after that. Bear's school have had live teaching so far, and I hope bear doesn't have much to catch up. However the government are talking about longer days and shorter holidays, so I suppose the careful planning from school before all this happened has all gone to waste. 

Now I'm going to get out the shopping list book. I've not been using it, with fairly disastrous results. But if I'm going to be parked in a supermarket carpark every day, I'm going to have to resist temptation to shop. That means making a list and sticking to it. Also actually reading it when I'm inside a store. Tomorrow I want to pick up coleslaw and salad for bear. I'm trying to think ahead and plan for the next few days so that I don't need another visit. Being sensible does not come naturally, but I think that it's worth the effort.

Hugs and good health to all.

1 comment:

  1. Congrats on persevering with the onesie - long may it continue! Stick on velcro - like stick on denim patches and stick on hemming - is nowhere near as robust as sewing and tends to come away after a few washes, so you made the right decision.
    I went to the Co-op for some silken tofu yesterday as none of the supermarkets who deliver round here seem to stock it anymore, and came out with an armful of soup (offer!), papers, cookies... so I hear you about being more organised. I'm not sure it's possible to go in a food shop for 1 item and come out with only 1; something in our genes...

    ReplyDelete