Pages

Friday 26 March 2021

Who Turned Out the Lights?

I don't know how much sense this will make, as I am still feeling somewhat exhausted, but here's hoping that it's readable.

A few days ago, I called into Boots near IKEA and when I was on my way home through the amazingly complex and horrifically busy set of intersections and traffic lights, two sets weren't working. Fortunately it was earlyish in the day and not too busy. If it had been at rush hour, I would have been stuck. As it was, I went with my instinct and just went when the way was safe and clear. 

Yesterday I was on the way to school with bear, first thing in the morning. This is along a busy road towards Tesco in Batley and the road is full of cars, vans and lorries. It's a very busy road. When we came to the big crossroads where it crossed the A62, another major road, the lights were out and a police officer was directing traffic. The tailbacks were massive.

Today I was on my way to pick up bear when I came to a set of lights on the busy A58. It's a junction with some weird, tight corners, with restricted views. Fortunately I was turning left onto a quieter road, but it was still nerve wrackign when the lights were out.

What is happening to the traffic lights?

My habit of trying to find yet another route between home and school paid off. Not only could I find a replacement route that avoided that set of lights (which if they were still out would be impossible to get out of) but also avoided  Batley Grammar School (protests at the gates).

I'm worried about driving when things are back to normal. I don't know how I'll cope with the busier roads. I suppose I'll manage - I did before. It does feel overwhelming, though. 

Hugs and good health to all. 

2 comments:

  1. Yikes! I hate it when the traffic lights are out. We're supposed to treat it as a four way stop, but we all stop and look at one another and then seem to go at the same time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, those non-working traffic lights can snarl up traffic in no time, can't they? But, I'm sure you'll do just fine even when the traffic increases as things go back to normal. :)

    ReplyDelete