Pages

Monday 8 March 2021

Normal for Me

I put some handcream on, picked up bear's onesie to finish the dratted sewing on the darned thing, and I couldn't get a grip on the needle! The fabric plus tape was too tough and my fingers too smooth! I'll try again tomorrow.

I was watching two magpies building a nest in the laurels opposite. I daren't prune the trees back now, the birds would never forgive me! That isn't an exaggeration. There was an experiment done where some researchers captured crows on a university campus to weigh and track them. They wore full face sort of neanderthal masks when they were capturing them. Now anytime any of the crows sees someone wearing the mask, they sound the alarm, and they can mob the wearer (clip here). I'm not sure if magpies are as bright as crows, but I'm not sure that I want to risk it.

I'm a little worried for them. I know magpies are supposed to be unlucky, but they always look so dapper and rascally. I have a soft spot for them and I'm worried that they have built their nest at the top of a high laurel that sways a lot just before high winds are forecast. I suppose we will have to wait and see.

Writing stuff - This week's flash fiction is a poem here. I wrote it this morning (bad practice, you should never share something that you have just written, but I go for it) and absolutely does not reflect any way I am feeling, and nor does it refer to anything that is happening now. For example, it refers to frost. It's not warm, but it's not freezing and there is something of a breeze. I very rarely write about myself or my feelings. I think that they are a little dull. I'd rather write about something more interesting.

Hugs and good health to all. 

1 comment:

  1. Magpies are aggressive and noisy. They drive other birds away with their bullying behaviour and rob nests as well. They mate for life and return to use the same nest every year. The nests are remarkably stable and will usually survive the winter storms.I wouldn't be encouraging them at all.
    Helen in France

    ReplyDelete