Pages

Thursday 20 October 2022

A Little Tired

Bless - There's often difficulty getting tomatoes to ripen after September here, but I'm curious to see what happens, and I'll share. I envy you having hummingbirds in your garden. I've only ever seen them on TV or video and they look so amazing!

Sharon - that squirrels sounds awesome. It is normal for me to have top, another top, sweater and blanket while the men are just in shirts or t-shirts. Bear likes a blanket sometimes, but I suspect that's just for comfort rather than warmth.

This morning I dropped bear off, then went to the nice car park.


I decided to go there and get some knitting done before IKEA opened at 10am. I watched a squirrel digging up some stashed food - it bounded across the car park to a patch of grass, looked around, had a dig, then bounded back to the trees with something in its mouth. It looked very cute. 

I then called in to IKEA. I didn't have a big wander around, but I had a little look. I usually get bear a form of blanket for Christmas/birthday, and they advertised a black furry one which I thought would do well. I am starting to think about what he might like to take away to university, and a black blanket would work. I couldn't find it anywhere when I looked, so I came home with some teaspoons, a couple of candles and a bath squeegee and booked it for click and collect tomorrow. 

I got home, had a bite to eat, then was out again as bear had an early finish as they were setting up for a sixth form open day. For those not familiar, after 16, when kids take GCSEs, they have choices and can (if they get the good grades) go to the sixth form or a local college for A levels. 

I really want bear to be able to go to the sixth form in the school he is at. They have an amazing ethos there, and I don't think bear realises how positive it is. They have such high standards for behaviour and achievement, and I hope bear will not only choose to go there but also get the grades he needs. I also had a major proud mum moment. He was talking to one of the physics teachers about some work in a textbook and was discussing something and I could see bear working it out and getting enthusiastic about it (something something force something angle - no idea). The teacher for a moment looked at him with such respect and appreciation, I was so proud. Bear would like to do maths, further maths, physics and computer science. I know diddly squat about any of that, so I shall practice nodding and smiling. We also had a look around the dedicated sixth form centre in a separate building down the road. It looks amazing. A lot of students from nearby schools are also applying for the sixth form, and there are limited spaces. 

Bear is also applying to a local college, which may not need the same sort of grades. There is an open day in November, which he's booked for. The college is quite near and I wouldn't have to drive him anywhere, and my life would be a lot easier, but I still think that he would be better off in the school. 

I am shattered walking a few yards at the moment, so I am currently utterly exhausted and about to drag myself to bed. 

Hugs and good health to all. 

3 comments:

  1. I can't believe it's almost time for Bear to be thinking about 6th form or college! Time has really flown by

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely photo - very peaceful looking. Oh, you should definitely be proud of bear! I'm proud of him, too, and I only know him through your blog! LOL. I hope he gets the grades and gets into the school or college of his choice for the next level of studies. :) Hope you have a restful night and a good day, tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Exciting times ahead for that young man. You are going to have so much more time of your own in a couple of years if he goes off to uni. He sounds like a clever kid.

    ReplyDelete