Pages

Friday 28 October 2022

Bewildered As Normal

Sharon - thank you

Bless - the weather seems upside down all over the place.

Today I roasted the bones. I guess they were around a pound in weight, and were probably beef ribs that had been trimmed.



As I roasted them, I realised that the rice cooker has a 'stew' or 'slow cook' function, so I bunged in the soup mix, some vinegar (thank you, Sarah), some worcester sauce and a couple of veggie stock cubes. 


I would make my own mix in future. I roasted the bones for around twenty minutes on the highest heat and added them.



Then I topped it up with water and ignored it for six hours.


There wasn't really enough fat from the roasting to do much with. I have left it out, but next time I may try and save it to fry an egg in.

The men loved it, but it was a little too much for me. Next time I'm going to add something like dried peas or perhaps haricot beans. If I am sensible, I can probably get two lots of three meals, or one lot of three meals and some broth stashed for later. As these are crazy times, I'll cost it out. The bones cost £3.19, the soup mix veggies cost 99p, the stock cubes, when I bought them, were 5p each (currently 7.5p each, or 75p for ten), and I suppose the splash of elderly red wine vinegar from Aldi and the worcestershire sauce didn't add up to too much. The cooking costs of the initial roasting was high, but the slow cooking worked quite well for long simmering. It could work out as a cheap meal that has the approval of the men if I got my act together. On the other hand, I was so flattened, I'm sure I haven't got the most out of it. 

I spent a lot of the afternoon listening to bear talking about maths, especially equations and cosines. I perhaps understood two words in ten, but he was having a lot of fun. It baffled me. 

I nipped out later to do a quick shop. I'm visiting a cousin and wanted to get some dog treats for her gorgeous and fierce alsatian. While I was there I picked up steaks for us as we are going to make a bit of a thing of Halloween, and a cake and some treats, with some Christmas presents and some basics. Some of the presents are the Tesco own brand clothing, which was on offer and reduced for clubcard extra owners, and I used my 10% off shop, so I took the cost down from £89.43 to £74.17. 

Now I am going for an early night as I need to get up in the morning. 

Hugs and good health to all. 

2 comments:

  1. That sounds like a good, cheap meal. I need to do better on that front.

    The Halloween celebration sounds lovely. I'm going to have a glass of wine, sit on the back porch for a few minutes later at night (and hoping it's not that cold) and having a toast to my Mum.

    Enjoy the weekend

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your beef and vegetables soup looks and sounds delicious! Plus, your family enjoyed it.
    I like the Halloween celebration you have planned. I am not doing anything special - I'll probably be getting my Covid booster then and will most likely not feel like doing anything, anyway! :D

    ReplyDelete