Pages

Wednesday 19 October 2022

Colours

Eileen - we had a lot more before the laurels were cut back, but now that they're spreading again (though not quite as much!) I'm hoping we'll get some finches and a few years ago we saw a black cap. It took time for them to get used to the garden, though. And the times vary. Sparrows and tits seem to turn up first thing in the morning, with magpies and pigeons more about lunchtime. I keep threatening to get a cheap camera to film them as we get so much pleasure out of them.

Cherie - the foliage (there's a word!) includes a self sown tomato plant


As no-one in this house has eaten a fresh tomato for some time, and the remains of any tomatoes go into the actual bin, I am blaming the birds, either directly or via bird food. It's lodged itself quite near the central heating vent, and is in a corner that will get sun when the rest of the garden won't, so I'm leaving it to see if anything happens.

Bless - I love watching squirrels but they are an absolute menace! Uncle was at permanent war with them. You may need to encourage another cat. Good luck!

I've done a rough calculation and I spend roughly £5 per week on birdfood, give or take. I have a bucket of wild bird seed, a bucket of peanuts, some flutter butter (you can't make it up) and a large bag of suet pellets every two months via Subscribe and Save. It's considerably cheaper to pick up the fat balls from somewhere like Morrisons or Wilkos, so I pick that up as and when. We have so much pleasure out of the birds that I think it money well spent. 

Bear told me at 9.30pm last night that it was a no-uniform day today and he had left his hoodie in his locker. So he wandered into school at 7.30am in black t-shirt, black skinny jeans and a lanyard. Apparently he doesn't feel the cold. I felt frozen just looking at him! Still, he was happy. 

While he was all in black, I noticed that there were some gorgeous colours around when I was waiting to pick him up. 




And one bush that was thinking about it.


There seem to be a lot of berries around. I noticed one rose bush absolutely laden with haws as I was queuing in traffic. I hope that doesn't mean a cold winter. 

Hugs and good health to all. 

2 comments:

  1. Lovely colours. Autumn is my favourite season. It's lovely to see all the colours before everything turns dull and brown.

    I swear children don't feel the cold. Though, that being said, there are some adults (usually men) too. I was all bundled up on my walk the other day - hat, mittens, coat and someone was walking in their jeans and tee shirt. Lol. It was freezing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What lovely colors! I spotted some flowers on your self-sown tomato plant, so, maybe you'll get some fruit, later! I haven't tried encouraging the birds to visit my garden for their own safety (all those garden cats), but, I have mourning doves, mockingbirds, hummingbirds, and sometimes, sparrows and some type of finch.

    ReplyDelete