Pages

Wednesday 5 October 2022

Facing the Fear

Bless - thank you. The commute isn't usually that bad, so I can't really complain. Sometimes I really treasure the fifteen minutes or so I have with my knitting and the peace and quiet while waiting for bear. I've turned up quite early in the past due to traffic issues, and I've got a lot of knitting done, but I've found a few short cuts that miss the worst of it so don't have to set off so early these days.

Sharon - thank you. DH and I both adore good home made soup, so we can lap it up and work around bear.

Eileen - I think all schools are having trouble keeping teachers at the moment. At least they are taking it seriously. English is a keynote subject. 

Bear has started coughing. I'm keeping an eye on him. I feel grim, but DH is definitely picking up, especially if he doesn't get carried away but takes it steady.

I had a delivery today. I've spent a fortune on duvet covers from Aldi. Well, at least a fortune for me. In the scheme of things, with the cost of thread and heading tape added, it should still work out at relatively inexpensive curtains compared to ready made. I'm still wincing at it, though. I have bought two king sized duvets and two double duvets. That gives two layers of fabric at the window, one window is 90 inches wide with 76 inch drop and one window 46 inches wide and 76 inch drop. You can't get ready made curtains for a 76 drop. You have to either get 81 inch or 72 inch. These duvet covers are 'crinkle velvet' which feels quite unpleasant but which should be useful in keeping in the heat.

And they are roughly 78 inches long, which by the time I have finished adding heading tape will fit very nicely. Of course all the radiators are under the windows, so I don't like them to hang down too much, but I don't want them too short to leave space for a draft. All I need to do is sew heading tape on one end of four duvet covers. I can line them later if I like, but with double glazing and my lack of skill, I'm leaving that for now. 

It's the sewing that's the problem. Really I should set up the sewing machine as soon as the heading tape arrives in the post and get cracking. But I'm still not comfy with my machine. It's ridiculous. It will take maybe an afternoon to do all the tape with the sewing machine, including setting up the new machine, having a practice and working out what goes where. If I sew by hand, I get sore fingers and it will take ages! As it gets colder, we need warmer curtains up soon, so I need to face the fear and do it anyway. I'll share if I get my courage up. 

Hugs and good health to all. 

4 comments:

  1. Using those duvet covers for curtains is a great idea! I am looking at my old worn thin drapes (they are practically see-through, now) and thinking I should try to line them!

    I hope bear feels better, soon, and you, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brilliant idea. If I lived near to you I'd sew them for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck with the sewing. Is it lack of practice with the actual sewing using your sewing machine or is it that you struggle to get it threaded and working properly? Anything we can help you with?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hazel (witchhazel)6 October 2022 at 15:49

    A bit late now..but... I needed some curtains to cover up our slightly leaky french windows, and couldn't get any the right height. I ended up buying some preowned-but-unused thermal ones from FB marketplace which were long enough to cover from the ceiling down to the floor. I then bought a tape and big eyelet kit (from Terry's Fabrics). It was really easy to apply, I didn't even bother to take off the original curtain heading, as (by chance) it sits above my pole. I just applied the tape below it, then fitted the eyelet things. You can't see the header tape (unless you actually go and look for it).

    ReplyDelete