Pages

Sunday 28 February 2016

Compound Interest

Darn it to Heck!

Bear found some maths games.  Regrettably I think they are aimed at children a little older than him.  One particular game caught his eye.  You start with a really easy sum like 7+5 and then work up to harder stuff, trying to hit the top.  Some of the stuff needed explanation and a little support.  DH was upstairs as he has a stinking cold and he really needs the down time.  I was on my own, faced with maths.

I have the same relationship with maths as vampires have with garlic.

I managed to remember that a negative number multiplied with a negative number results in a positive number, and he was happy to talk through the questions with me, but then we were faced with compound interest.  I have heard the concept, I understand that it happens in banks and that computers do the sums for it.  I can probably work out the sums the long way round.  I have never really 'got' it.  I wasn't much help and we didn't get that one.  Bear sulky put on a YouTube video.

I am going to have to bite the bullet.  I'm going to have to sign up to maths lessons for myself.  I can't think of anything more depressing.  Fortunately there are plenty of maths lessons around that are inexpensive/free aimed at adults who struggle.  I am not sure the teacher will deserve me.

The things a mother will do for their children.

3 comments:

  1. You have my sympathies. I'm hopeless when it comes to maths and my daughter was already going to grade 5 for pre-algebra when she was in grade 3.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is a totally free site, https://www.khanacademy.org/, that has a huge number of free online lessons for all ages. There big one is math and they are fun. See if any help. His website has been reviewed and found to be pretty excellent.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There is a totally free site, https://www.khanacademy.org/, that has a huge
    number of free online lessons for all ages. There big one is math and they
    are fun. See if any help. His website has been reviewed and found to be
    pretty excellent.
    (google told me was rejected by server earlier. Sorry if double post.) Ana USA

    ReplyDelete