Pages

Saturday 6 February 2016

Home Made Cleaners

I'm really not sure about these.

I tried home made laundry detergent which was an enormously epic fail.  The home made powder refused to dissolve in the washer and the gloop never really got to the gloop stage.  I stocked up on Ariel instead when it was half price at Tesco.  I have just got a coupon from Tesco for 160 extra Clubcard points if I buy before 3rd April, so I shall be keeping a close eye on the price of Ariel until then.

When I cleared out the cupboard under the sink I found three spray cleaners.  It will take me a while to get through those, even with the 30 day cleaning plan.  However I was considering some of the recipes in the book.  One is a spray that you use on the shower and bath daily which is one part vinegar to three parts water with essential oil added.  I may use it.  I just bought 5 litres of white vinegar for just over £3 so the cost of a few drops of essential oil is likely to be the most expensive part of it.  It is unlikely to do much damage.

I am seriously considering using Bless's idea of steeping orange peels (in vast supply here) in vinegar and using that as a cleaner.

My basic reservations about home made cleaners is that many of the recipes combine vinegar (acid), baking soda (alkaline) and essential oils.  My very, very basic knowledge of chemistry says that acid and alkali cancel each other out so you end up with a neutral solution scented with essential oils.  I found, amidst a drift of articles about home made cleaners, a very interesting one here which includes this statement:  

However, the NPR report also stated that researchers at the Institute of Agricultural and Environmental Sciences at Tennessee State University found that “water can remove 98 percent of bacteria when it’s used to rinse and soak produce.” Rubbing or brushing helps in cleaning.

So plain water with the compulsory 'few drops of essential oil' would be just as good.  I would also suggest that essential oils need to be treated with respect and care.  They can be incredibly powerful in very small doses.  

I think it is incredibly important to label any home made solution.  If and when I make up some of the diffuser solution I shall be labelling it as poison.  Surgical spirit and essential oils are not good for anyone.  

Looking through the links has made me curious so I am off to browse.  I will share if I find anything interesting.  

No comments:

Post a Comment