Pages

Saturday 6 June 2020

Not a Breakthrough

Bear needed a prescription picking up. I couldn't do it. I couldn't walk to a building that is visible from my window - maybe a few hundred yards only. I could have driven there, but the parking is horrific and I would never manage. Fortunately DH was going past there on a walk so picked it up for bear. Bear was quite indignant that I wouldn't send a 13 year old to pick up a prescription for something that isn't sold across the counter. If DH hadn't gone, I would have found a way, but I'm so upset that the barrier is still there. I wish I knew the answer. I can't get out unless it is either in a car or for bear. 

On the bright side, I found a book on Amazon via a Reddit recommendation. It's inexpensive, vegetarian food from storecupboard basics called 'Canned Pantry: Four Week Meal Plan' and seems ideal for these times. It's free on Kindle, and is a four week set of recipes that use things like tinned carrots and instant mashed potato in creative ways. The men in my life would probably reject some of them, but there are plenty that I plan on sneaking into the diet. I love the idea of sneaking pickled onions into meals instead of onions. I also plan on trying their version of focaccia and the lemony carrots.

I think it's written for those who are used to cooking in a quick and easy way, and so you get oven temperatures set generally such as 'medium hot' and while I think it's easy to follow the instructions, there are gaps where you should apply common sense. It's a basic collection for people who are struggling, and aims to feed a single person for £10 per week. I'm not commenting on the nutritional issues, which the author admits aren't ideal, but I think it's timely and I'll be keeping an eye out for a second edition. 

Hugs and good health to all.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the link, I've downloaded the book it could be useful as we are resuming our cruising soon and sometimes we are not near any shops.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lyssa (not your real name, I know) Tony has nearly finished Tales from the White Hart ( for the second time) and would like to know if there is a follow up book we can buy. He absolutely loved it

    ReplyDelete