Pages

Saturday 20 June 2020

Shiny Things!

Bear currently looks only mildly beaten, and is giving himself eye drops like a champ. Thank you for the good wishes. 

Today I have been looking at lots of shiny things. As I may have mentioned a gazillion times, I have a book coming out on 23 July, all being well. It's the first one that is being handled by a proper publisher, Three Furies Press, who are small, relatively new and utterly awesome. They can cope with me. 

My novel is steampunk, that is, a sort of science fiction version of Victorian London, where machines fly through the sky using the new technology of aether crystals and aether energy (there are also monsters and murders in the East End of London in the thick, London fog). I hope to be going to steampunk conventions later, when things are back to whatever passes for normal, so I thought I would make a steampunk hat. I bought this pattern.


I really should have watched the YouTube tutorials which use thin foam and glue. Instead I'm looking at sewing and milliners wire. I spent a lot of the day looking at various fabrics and notions online, and what wonderful things there are! I'm planning to have a go at the one on the top right, with the bat wings. It looks the easiest. I may have to have several attempts.

After that, I need to consider a costume that not only fits in with late Victorian and Jules Verne ethos but, instead of the rather dashing fitted clothes, allows for my generous size and ample and low slung bosom. At least it is something to look forward to. And it may also be a chance to look at lovely, shiny, sparkly things and shop, but I'm admitting nothing.

Now all I have to do is wait for the fabric to arrive and hope that the sewing machine works. I may go back and re-watch the Great British Sewing Bee. 

Hugs and good health to all. 

3 comments:

  1. I love that design! Wish I was closer so I could take some photos when you were finished. I would love to photography costumes and such. I asked around at a local camera group here but no-one knew of anywhere I could do it or any local classes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gosh that looks difficult. I wish you the best of luck.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love those hats. Thankful that Bear is feeling a bit better. Cheers Jean

    ReplyDelete