Pages

Sunday 14 November 2021

Minty Fail

Sharon - the mint didn't work. DH caught a rat sniffing happily at a peppermint oil soaked sponge, so that's a fail. To be honest, I think that it's a deterrent, but not a big one. I wonder if the rat cleared its sinuses.

I'm going to risk outlining my plans. By the end of this week I plan to have got rid of the tyres and honeysuckle and moved the yellow salt box. DH and I suspect that there are rats nesting behind there. Mind you, my initial plans have had to be modified as bear has changed his schedule. I'm sure that I will manage something. 

I was considering leaving it over winter. Not only do we have the sparrows but I'm sure I saw a wren as well as the robin and blue tits. It looked a little like this, but it was at a distance, so it could have been a sparrow with a different hairdo.

The way that the honeysuckle has grown is a great shelter for hedge birds. Of course, the fuchsia is still a thicket all by itself, and the bushes across the road have recovered some growth, but losing the tyres will take a source of shelter. But I don't want a rats' nest in the garden. 

And typing this - should I get a professional to deal with a rats' nest? I don't want to use poison or anything, just remove their habitat. I mean, it's still not nice for the rats, but they are around to feel that it isn't nice and are still part of the local food chain. I plan (all things being equal, and knowing my track record) to start by cutting everything back tomorrow.

I am also a little concerned that any conflict with the rats will end up as our version of the Emu War (for those who are interested, the emus didn't come second)

Hugs and good health to all. 

No comments:

Post a Comment