Pages

Monday 21 March 2022

Funny Sort of Day

Sharon - I have to confess. It had been a sunny day, but that pic was taken after sunset with the benefit of a street light right next to me. I'll try and get some better pics when I remember. The weekend was wonderful.

Bless - we had a great weekend, and it was incredibly relaxing. I'm going to try and train the honeysuckle. I haven't got green fingers like you, though, so I'm not sure how it's going to work.

Christine - I pretty much had a nervous collapse over homework when bear was in primary school. I'm not really as involved now, apart from reading through stuff, but his homework is stacking up like crazy, poor kid.

Eileen - every now and then, bear tells me thank you. It's the most incredible hug. The school he goes to has, I think, a greater percentage of helicopter parents than average, so he's quite grateful that I'm not standing over his maths homework with a stop watch or carting him around tutors most evenings. I feel sort of lucky that bear doesn't mind that DH and I take interest in what he does. He is happy that we ask questions and pay attention to what is going on. I know that things can go wrong with teenagers, but, so far, he's been such an awesome kid. 

Today has been a funny sort of day. I had problems getting going this morning. For some reason I started off quite stiff so I didn't get the car defrosted and moving until around 7.15am. I forced myself to go for a walk, because I really didn't feel like it, but I'm glad I did.

I got some pics. 


There is going to be a lot of wild garlic flowers here in a month or so.


I thought it fascinating to see berry and blossom so close together.


The frost had got to these flowers. I hope that they recover.

Then I pootled along to Tesco which was a sort of fail, wut, win. I was reversing into my usual spot, against the beech hedge opposite the trolley shed, when I caught a driver staring at me. I sort of gazed back, forgetting that I was moving backwards, and went straight into the hedge. 


I don't reverse fast, so it wasn't too bad. As you can see, a few dead leaves got knocked off, and red wasn't scratched, but I did feel a fool.

Then I went in to claim my prize. I had bought some raffle tickets when I called into Tesco on Saturday and got a phone call saying that I had won third prize, a bottle of prosecco. I agreed to turn up on Monday morning where the prize would be at Customer Services. I tootled up, handed over my ticket and baffled the assistant. You see, the note very clearly states my name, my mobile number and a completely, utterly, drastically different ticket number. I wasn't sure what to do and neither was the assistant, so in the end, I walked away with it. I think that I may just donate it back. I won't drink it, and neither will DH. It's massive - 1.5 litres, or the size of two normal bottles. It doesn't help that those 'champagne' type corks make me nervous. Besides, it's the sort of cut price stuff that is usually fit for cleaning brass.


I'm hoping that they let me volunteer in one of their shops. It would be great to get out and about. 

But - here's an amazing thing - I left Tesco without buying anything! I couldn't think of a single thing to get. I'm doing a proper shop tomorrow, but I didn't want to be bothered with doing bits today. That is definitely a win. Of course, I had to pick up the salad I forgot for DH in Morrisons later, but that is when I found a pack of vegetable soup mix marked down to 65p.



I've had one bowl. I added some lentils and perhaps a little too much water. I expect to get at least two more meals from it. So that was another win.

And then we had a quiet time while bear and DH discussed card tricks and I stayed very quiet. 

Writing stuff - with the Grumpy Old Gods Anthology (with a contribution from me) coming out, I thought I would write something that fitted in with that and you can find it here

Hugs and good health to all. 

5 comments:

  1. We bought prosecco once just because the bottle as lovely. It tasted like something you'd scrub the floor with... not that I would truthfully know what floor cleaner tastes like :-) I've still got the pretty bottle though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely photos, especially the one of the berry. I love it!

    Sorry about backing into the bush. Glad you didn't damage the car. You just helped those dead leaves fall off lol.

    That's funny about the raffle ticket. I wonder what happened?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do you ever pick the wild garlic to make pesto or to add to dishes?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oops! Sorry about backing the car into the hedge! Glad it didn't damage the car!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I’m not good with alcohol. I once had a glass of real champagne bought for me as a treat and three sips down it induced a terrible gall bladder attack. I’ve never been able to face fizzy type drinks since. I’ll stick to tea. 😂 x

    ReplyDelete