Pages

Wednesday 23 March 2022

The Front Door

Cherie - I'm sort of giving up on sleep at the moment. If it isn't issues with breathing or heartburn, it's aching joints and nightmares. I've decided that my sleep stuff is just my subconcious being difficult for attention and I'm ignoring it. 

Eileen - I hope you had a wonderful walk. It's a great time of year for it. As for school uniform - I could grumble for days. Bear has got into an amazing, free grammar school. It went from local authority to academy status, but it's like most secondary schools. It just has competitive entrance exams. We travel eight miles each way and there are a lot of kids which travel much further. Apart from the exams, there is another, not so good, way to filter admissions. It's parents who can afford or are willing, one way or another, to pay twice the cost of a blazer compared to the nearest school - and second hand uniform is discouraged! Yesterday I picked up four school shirts for bear from Matalan. It's not exactly the most expensive store, but it was still £15 and the next size up is men's shirts. It will be men's trousers next. Added the horrific cost of sports kit and the ties that seem to unravel even though bear isn't particularly hard on clothes and it mounts up very quickly indeed. Last Friday we called in to Tesco to get the sole of bear's shoe glued back on as the cost of replacing the school shoes that still fit was ridiculous. The school is awesome, but I'm dreading the next round of school uniform buying. 

I couldn't shut the front door today. It's been a problem for ages and we've had them out before. Last time I told them that I couldn't get back from the school run before 8.30. The man arranged to come at 8.00. Fortunately DH was able to deal with that, and I left DH to it today. It seems like when it was installed there was some stuff in something - I'm not clear of the details but it is infuriating. I would recommend this firm to anyone for windows. They are awesome, they had nerf gun fights with bear, they have been amazing. But the trouble we have had with the door and all the issues trying to get some satisfaction from them and I couldn't suggest them for that to anyone. It's really frustrating.

While I was writing my Wednesday chatty snippet on the writer's blog, I found this quote and thought I would share. It sounds about perfect to me.

The trouble with weather forecasting is that it’s right too often for use to ignore it and wrong to often for us to rely on it - Patrick Young

Hugs and good health to all.

4 comments:

  1. Ack. Sorry about the door. Frustrating.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so pleased that school uniforms are a thing of the very distant past for me. The cost is horrendous and such an unfair cost too if you are limited to certain stores for the blazers and ties.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's worrying if you can't close your door. What are you supposed to do if it happens and DH isn't at home and you have to go out? Isn't the company accepting responsibility? Maybe time to talk to escalate the complaint. I hope you can get it sorted.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hope your front door is fixed now and you don't have any problems with it in the future!

    ReplyDelete