Pages

Monday 15 July 2019

I May Not Make Sense

Bless - the names of colours are fascinating. I only really know English, but English is a jumble of influences. I heard it described as three kids standing on each other's shoulders and hiding underneath one coat, pretending to be one person. This means that the names on the pencils and on the paint tins in the store can get creative. Last time I looked at paint colours for decorating, I think we decided that 'elephant's breath' was the weirdest description (nondescript grey, really). Did you know that if you study languages, all languages have words for 'black' and 'white'. The next colour that is added is red, then either green or yellow, then either yellow or green, then blue, and so on. I saw it ages ago, but it took me some googling to find a reference, here. Also 'pink' is a colour named after a flower, so before somebody cultivated pinks, they didn't bother describing the colour. The same with 'orange'. The colour is named after the fruit. I think calling something the colour of a blue gem is a beautiful way to describe a colour.

As you may be able to tell, I'm wandering a little. I am sooo tired, bear is not very well (tummy) and poor DH, while unharmed, has had a very minor car accident. A car pulled out in front of him, but everyone was going quite slowly so it was all okay. Chances of me making sense of the world are rather low tonight. Unfortunately, I need to do the final sort on the grocery delivery for tomorrow. I'll share if I go odder than normal.

Poor DH, he is now going to be neck deep in paperwork for weeks. He was so badly hurt last summer, at least this is only a minor ding, but it's the last thing he needs. I shall be in 'make a fuss of DH' mode for the next few weeks. It seems so unfair. He didn't do anything wrong, but he still has to do all the forms and the phone calls. He seems pretty calm, I just hope that it doesn't affect him later.

Writing stuff - I've put a writing prompt on my writing blog here. I've made the prompt, but I have no idea what I'll write. It's good practice for me, though. It's like the writing equivalent of the gym.


Photo by Mauro on Unsplash 

No comments:

Post a Comment