Pages

Friday 19 July 2019

Slightly Busy Day

It was bear's sports day today, parents not invited. I was sort of sad, but also sort of relieved. Bear's event was rained off and his house didn't do well at all. I had to find a new route as the sports day was being held at a facility a little way from the school. Bear was extremely good at navigating, directing me to the easiest route and warned me about one particular road. Unfortunately, due to me missing the exit and not having the nerve to get across a dual carriageway during the rush hour, I ended up going on the harder road. It was steep. It was really steep and I grumbled up hills in second gear and thought Red was going to give up. I picked them up afterwards, getting there ridiculously early to make sure I could park (it was rammed by the time the kids let out) and then took bear and his pal to McDonalds.

Bless and Kate - the issue with the rats is that most of the neighbours have rats inside their houses, despite their best efforts. We have no sign of them inside, and I'd like to keep it that way. We have a sewer in the street, five food places within a few hundred yards of our street and we are near a beck. If the rain really comes down, I expect we will see a few more if they are flooded out. Our garden is the only one with any vegetation, so really I'm cutting it back to help the neighbours out. Of course, it won't have any impact on the vast swathes of brambles, nettles and overgrown laurels on the other side of the street, but it will help the neighbours feel better. And, to be honest, I'll feel better not seeing a rat scuttle across my small garden, and I didn't enjoy finding the dead one either.

Kate - a few years back there were reports of a pet snake escaping only a mile or two down the road and dog walkers were warned as it was a huge tropical snake. We've had a cold winter or two since, so I'm not worried. I've found toads in the garden, so I wouldn't be surprised at an adder (I'd be surprised if I saw it), but I'd prefer to keep my distance.

For those who knit - I found this blog which has a post about someone who knitted a garden fence! They used garden twine, knitted on adapted curtain poles and used a Shetland Lace pattern. The blog is here. I'm reluctant to use the photos, as they are not mine, but the effect is striking.

I'm feeling a little low, so tonight may involve some knitting and YouTube.

Writing stuff - the latest instalment from the White Hart is here. I'm having far too much fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment