Pages

Sunday 17 October 2021

I Feel Abashed

The arch with the honeysuckle is now down. It just wobbled down like cardboard, so it was just as well that it came down before any stormy weather. All I can say is that the local robin did not approve. I got a death glare. I got a full on disappointed, irritated, grumply stare from something that weighs less than my current used tissues. I got the strong feeling that I should go away and think hard about what I've done. I didn't get a pic of that particular robin, as I was too busy transfixed and hanging my head in shame, so here is a stock photo.


There was also a stunned pigeon. I've seen it around a few times. It's scruffy looking and comes to the bird feeder, but it seems a little, well, lacking. I noticed it when it rustled the bag with the clippings in, and then got lost in a tub that was sideways on - and around 18 inches deep! I'm not sure if that is normal for pigeons or whether it needs help. At the moment it seems to be getting around okay, so I'll just keep an eye out.

I can understand the robin being cross. I've taken down two good places for the small birds to perch and they both provided a certain amount of cover for the bird feeder. As a magpie regularly visits, and I believe magpies will go after small birds, this is important. On the other hand, the fuchsia is still roughly the size of a tank even after I trimmed the bit overhanging the pavement, the weeds still flourish underneath the study windowsill and the honeysuckle in the tyres still no doubt harbours loads of insects and honeysuckle berries. Now that it's been trimmed, I've even got a few flowers.

I took a pic, which was mercifully robin free. I usually see it in the mornings. 


When I took the pic, I realised how much I needed to do in the garden to get it looking halfway fit. I certainly avoided a lot of angles. It can wait until after I've stopped sniffling. I'll almost certainly look to get more trellis and climbers, but perhaps a little sturdier. The last lot were technically metal but had the resistance of cardboard. I'm not getting Russian Vine again, though. We had that and it too father three goes to get rid of it. It once grew 9 inches in a week. We never got decent flowers, either. 

Sniffles continue. I feel somewhat like death (but it is seriously not serious) and bear needs a short sleeved shirt for tomorrow. 

Writing stuff - today's story is here

Hugs and good health to all. 

No comments:

Post a Comment