Pages

Tuesday 5 October 2021

Parents' Evening

It's been a naff raff sort of day. I've been dotting around trying to sort out the absolute havoc in the house while also trying to catch up with writing stuff. It's been a sort of fail all around. 

I also forgot that the delivery was coming between 10 and 11 this morning. I thought it would be later, so I was completely taken by surprise when they drew up. It was Tesco, so no bags and I didn't have bags ready. I ended up stacking everything on the front steps to unload the big trays and then doing a load of trips inside afterwards. I may or may not have bought some Halloween and autumnal decorations.


The house is in such a state that it's impossible to put them up at the moment. I'm taking it as an incentive. And tomorrow I really need to do something in the very tiny front patch which is entirely out of control.

On the bright side, I'm sort of ready for Christmas. I mean, there could be power cuts, and there could be stuff happening that means that we use stuff up early without being able to replace it. However, all being well, and risking saying anything because we all know what happens when I plan but in the freezer is a frozen ham roast with glaze type thing, a bag of sprouts and a bag of roast potatoes. In the cupboard is a box of gluten free stuffing and a tub of gluten free gravy browning. I've got some bits for bear and DH, and it will be mostly money anyway. If nothing happens to these things, and stuff happens here a lot, then we will be fine for Christmas if we can't get the stuff nearer the time. All we really need here is the company. 

There was a sort of Parents' Evening tonight, where the school explained about the new system of rewards and incentives. It seems pretty tough. One thing horrified me - pupils are expected to do two to three hours homework per night and some parents apparently complain that it's not enough. I'm not sure about that. I've been staying away from bear's homework for years. I'm fairly certain that he isn't spending that amount of time, although today's ration included twenty minutes in the car on the way to school, but we're not getting any complaints. 

Writing stuff - today's piece is here, another little story about Kane. And Tales from the White Hart and More Tales from the White Hart should be getting to places other than Amazon soon. 

Hugs and good health to all. 

1 comment:

  1. If bear is now in his third year of Grammar School, 2-3 hours of homework each night seems a bit excessive. Have the school given you a homework timetable including the amount of time they expect the subject to take or is this just a vague estimate of how much time he should be spending which includes projects and reading around the subject? I know I went to school in the dark ages but we weren't expected to spend two hours of homework each night until the two 'O' level years, then it was 3 hours a night for the sixth form - an hour for each subject. If it was taking us longer than that, then there was a problem and help should be sought. I know I frighten my pupils who don't practice by reminding them that they should be spending the same number of hours practicing as the Grade they are on broken into half hour sessions but I'm usually happy if they have at least done some. Whatever happened to work/life balance for kids?

    ReplyDelete