Pages

Friday 8 December 2023

Fifty Tins of Beans

I have, or had, a subscription to Heinz Baked Beans via Heinz at home. At one point it was very much worth it as bear was eating a lot of baked beans. He is no longer eating a lot of baked beans and I didn't see the warning that the next shipment was on its way. I already had a bean mountain and it's got bigger. 

I cancelled the subscription but I still have the mountain. To be fair, they won't go out of date any time soon and I plan to drop some off at the Food Bank, but it's not the only food mishap I've had. I ordered some meat bones which arrived on Wednesday. In the past I've roasted them and then cooked them slowly with veggies and they had been awesome. I started roasting them today and they were mainly fat. None of use would eat that, so it was wasted. I'm so annoyed. 

But it could be worse. I made it to the opticians and he did the whole exam and it seems that my eyes are currently healthy. There were a few moments when I found myself freaking out. The experience at the hospital seems to have made me twitchier, and I'm unimpressed. As it is, my prescription has changed and I'm picking up new glasses on 22 December. My eyes feel very tired and I'll be glad when I get the proper fit. Another good thing is that the optician checked and I'm absolutely fine to drive. I was worrying about that. 

And then, because of a route change due to road works, I found myself going past Aldi and called in and picked up the bagels that I forgot to get earlier, so I'm feeling pretty good about that. I really hadn't wanted to go, but I did and I feel better for it. 

I completely forgot to take pics.

I've worked out that I feel creakier as the day goes on. I need to be mindful of this and make sure that I do the more physical work in the morning. I've got a month before bear's parent's evening. I need to work on my fitness for that because at the moment I'm not physically fit enough to do all the walking that I'd need to do. I'll see how I go with this. The list stuff is helping. I've not done everything that I wanted to over the last week, but that's okay. I'll just keep chipping away at stuff. Yesterday I peeled and chopped 1kg of carrots, a head of celery and a couple of onions for the freezer. I've got the rest of the onions to do, but I can do them bit by bit over the next few days. 

Writing stuff - I don't know if anyone is interested, but I've posted a review of a book on my writing blog here. I want to make this a regular thing as it brings me discipline and helps me expand my reading. 

Hugs and good health to all. 

8 comments:

  1. You'll be eating lots of beans on toast and jacket potatoes with beans lol. I like beans. Not sure my family is a fan but oh well, I do them.

    Glad your eye appointment went well. I really need to do one, but keep forgetting and it's too late now. Sigh. Another thing to add to the New Year list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sending hugs. You'll get there. You just need an occasional reminder that you are awesome.

      And I love beans!

      Delete
  2. i realised the other day i have over 30kg of cat kibble because next doors cat died and my 2 dont eat much , ho hum well thats next years cat kibble bought

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also bought a years supply of my favourite deodorant in the Black Friday sale...

      Delete
  3. That's a nice supply of beans. I love baked beans on toast and with rice, too! We don't find Heinz baked beans in the stores, here. They are available online for eye watering prices. The American style baked beans are different.
    Glad to hear that the eye appointment went well and you can still drive while you wait for your new glasses. I, too, need to get my eyes checked for new glasses.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was really important that I got cleared to drive. You can't take risks that could affect others.

      I quite fancy trying American style baked beans. I've heard that they're different with pork in them. Heinz are fairly premium here as well, which is why I tried to cut costs with the subscription. That was not necessarily a win!

      Delete
  4. After early stages of Covid lockdowns and shortages, I gathered loads of little mountains. Primarily beans and tinned tomatoes - then we ate most up. The cats had the biggest food mountain of all😳- but that too got eaten. Trying just to have a sensible store now though.
    Love Mary x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've always been bad for that. When Covid hit, I already had a toilet paper mountain and didn't need to buy any all the way through the crisis. And there had been an unbeatable offer on my favourite hand soap and I haven't bought any since 2018, although we're at the last dregs of them.

      Delete