Pages

Saturday 16 December 2023

Thinking About Things

Angela mentioned the Mission to Seafarers in a comment, and I thought I would expand. I knew that they had been a safe place for my uncle when he was in a strange port, looking like a visitor, not knowing the language and in a port which is usually considered an unsavoury part of town. The Mission was a place where a stranger wouldn't be robbed or steered towards drink and gambling. But I remember seeing an article on tv once, years ago, and while I can't remember the details, it stuck with me. 


A ship had been abandoned on the Humber. What had happened was that the owners of the ship had decided that it wasn't profitable anymore so they just abandoned the ship with, I think, half a dozen crew left on board. They weren't getting paid. They were from disadvantaged parts of the world and their families couldn't help them. They couldn't buy food or work, as they couldn't get ashore and they had no papers. They didn't have the education or connections to advocate for themselves. They were in a terrible situation. If I remember correctly, it was the Mission to Seafarers that stepped in and helped them get home. They have a page on ship abandonment here.

I had a quick look and while the Mission to Seafarers is a Christian organisation, they claim that they are willing to approach and support all faiths, or those people who have none. Their website is here

As an aside, my great grandfather was a ship's captain and had his own ship up to the 1920s (I think). According to my late mother, the crew were always grateful as he let them sleep on the ship when they got to port, especially if they got back to his home port of Liverpool. Many didn't have a place to go and were at the mercy of unsafe boarding houses and unscrupulous lodgings which could drain all their money with 'extras' if they didn't steal it outright. Him allowing the crew to stay on ship was, apparently, a big thing. Seafarers can be remarkably vulnerable.

I got out today, but I failed to take a pic. I was in the usual car park, and I was struck how much peace I found sitting away from the usual stressors. I had a quiet knit and found myself really recharging in a way that I don't think that I had since bear finished high school and I stopped the school run. I need to do it more. Here's a previous pic where I didn't take advantage of the peace.


When I used the lists, my productivity soared. Last week, when I didn't use them so much, it sank like a stone. I need to rescue my house, my mental health and my chance at getting a job. Tomorrow I'm going to sit down and work out what's blocking me and try and identify some very small tasks each day that I can do that will erode those blocks. We're coming up to Christmas with all its chaos but starting a new year on a new footing isn't a bad way to look at things. I'll share what I can.

I also spent some time hanging out with the men and watching old William Hartnell Doctor Who episodes on BBC iPlayer. Bear was a little confused about how surreal the sixties could be, but we all enjoyed it and I added another couple of inches to the hat. 

Hugs and good health to all. 

8 comments:

  1. Glad you managed to get out and find a little peace. Sounds like a good idea to write a list and then tackle the small things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that lists work for me. I just need to make them and follow them - which isn't as easy as it sounds

      Delete
  2. Thanks for expanding on the work of the Mission. I remember reading about the Humber ship incident. Yes, lists are very helpful when we are so busy that we forget things

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Humber ship incident was, if I remember rightly, very bad indeed.

      Delete
  3. What a really interesting story. Well, stories, actually. I'd never given the Mission any thought at all; and I'd also never thought about how difficult it would be for seafarers coming into ports. I suppose I thought they slept on the ship or stayed ashore, it didn't occur to me that they would be vulnerable, or had no option.

    Re the other stuff. I have a reward system where I have to get x points and the reward is y. How much I have to do to get a point is adapted to how difficuklt I am finding things. On good days, I have to empty the dishwasher to get a point; on worse dayts, I have to empty one of the dishwasher drawers; sometimes it's one half of a dishwasher drawer; sometimes its similar items in the drawer; sometimes I get a point for each item. It applies to everything. Sometimes I get a point for clearing and cleaning a whole worktop; or it might be 1 point for each thing I remove from the worktop and put in its place/dishwasher. On the really bad days, I just remind myslef that every single item I deal with makes a difference I might not see it, but the accumulation of several things will make it look better.

    The rewards can be whatever I need or want. It might be "make a cup of tea", "get a glass of juice", check my email", "do a puzzle". It's all second nature to me now, and I do it even when I'm not struggling - I jist make the points harder to earn, or I need more points. The number of points I need to earn a reward are adaptable as well. On a good day, I have to get to 50 to stop and have a cup of tea, on a bad day I might have to get to 5. Or 1.

    I really appreciate you sharing your struggles as well as your successes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The way that you work your reward system sounds really useful. I'm concerned that it may not work with me as I have willpower as robust as melted marshmallow, but it's a start. I'm desperate for things to work out.

      Delete
  4. That's good that you were able to go out and relax in the car park. Oh, yes, your friendly crow! It probably wanted some of your yarn to decorate its nest! The new year is a good time for new beginnings. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Next time I should try and take some good stuff for it! Though I usually knit with inexpensive man made fibres and it's safer to give the crows wool or similar. I always feel honoured if a crow pays attention.

      Delete