Pages

Friday 29 December 2023

Quiet Continues

I didn't post yesterday because nothing much happened. I can only post about hanging out with the men and watching old Doctor Who episodes so often. However I made up the hat I made from the gifted yarn.


The pattern called for 2oz of yarn, or around 50g. I used a 100g ball of yarn, but there was only around 20g left over. I'll maybe keep any left overs for stripes in a hat or scarf - I'll see what happens. The pattern is a genius. The loathed 2x2 rib is wonderfully stretchy, and 120 stitches will fit most heads. It will either be stretchy to expand to most head sizes or the rib will stick to small heads. You rib for 12 inches before shaping the crown. Again, that means that the hat will fit most heads, deep enough for most heads but with the possibility of turning up the bottom edge to make a kind of cuff. It's brilliant. I cast on another hat so that I didn't lose the needle which is a perfect length for this.


This is more of a green variegated yarn. I've also put a few inches on the scarf as well, while watching Doctor Who and the Aztecs. 

Bear has been invited to a New Year's Eve Party. I am terrified. I'm fairly confident that he'll be sensible, but there are so many possibilities when teens and alcohol mix. Still, he knows that he can call us any time for a lift, and that we won't judge, so he should be fine. I can't keep him wrapped in cotton wool. I'll just stick to extracting the address and name of an adult likely to be around. 

Hugs and good health to all. 

6 comments:

  1. That is a great hat! May I ask about the weight of the yarn or what type of yarn you used? And the needle size? Only because I cast on a lot fewer stitches for the hat I made for M and now I don't know if it would fit him or not!
    I hope bear enjoys the New Year's Eve party. Loosening the apron strings is hard, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm really struggling with the apron strings, but I'm sure that he'll be fine. I've dropped an answer on your blog.

      Delete
  2. That's a nice looking hat. You've inspired me to knit some for our homeless community. It'll get rid of some of my yarn stash.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was important to me to honour the yarn gifted to me, but I think I'll carry on with some more of my stash to cut it down for a good cause. It's pretty relaxing as well, if you can get past the 2x2 rib.

      Delete
  3. What a lovely hat. I'm sure it will be much appreciated.

    I know it's a worry, but as you said, you have let him know that he can call you anytime to be picked up. You've given him a really good start and he sounds like a lovely, sensible young man (oh that makes me sound old lol). My kids messed up sometimes, everybody does, but it's how he handles it and how you handle it! I was thankful my kids never gave me half the grief I gave my Mum.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your reassurance. As long as he knows to come to me if he needs to then it will be fine - I'll still be a bag of nerves lol but that's on me.

      Delete