Pages

Friday 15 December 2023

Sometimes Good Things Happen.

A wonderfully kind friend sent me some yarn that they were destashing.


I've decided that it's a Christmas present. I plan to spend the holidays watching bear play computer games and knitting hats for the Seamen's Mission. You can find some free patterns here, if you want to do the same and there's a free post address. Uncle was a ship's engineer for nearly twenty years and always said that the Seamen's Mission, or Mission to Seafarers, was a safe place to go in a strange and sometimes dangerous port. A lot of crew on the tankers these days are from places like the Philippines and they don't realise how cold it can get once they get away from home. I've already started a hat, and I'm feeling good about it. 


Don't misunderstand me, two by two rib is not my favourite stitch, but there are worse out there. 

Some of the yarn is quite pink, so any hats or scarves that I may make from that I intend to give to the Salvation Army. The Salvation Army isn't perfect, but there's a chance that a woolly hat or scarf will find it's way to someone who needs it, like a vulnerable family. I may also consider lap blankets, depending on how bored I get of two by two rib. But to me, it's sort of a perfect Christmas. We'll be hanging out together, I'll be relaxing with knitting and the men will be absorbed in their games and it will be cosy, calm and just what we need. 

In other news, I have spent the last month reassuring eye and ear doctors that I don't feel dizzy in any way. Today I have been wonderfully dizzy and wobbly. It's been an encouragement to stay sitting. At least I got some knitting done!

Hugs and good health to all. 

8 comments:

  1. Knitting hats for seafarers is a great thing to do. The missions in ports across the world are especially busy at Christmas - often enabling sailors to make precious phone calls home, and showing love and compassion to lonely guys feeling fad from their families. Thank you for flagging up this great organisation

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know that it made a great deal of difference to my uncle, who was on a well run ship, for a known company, with access to education and information. It's a lifeline to others. It's a tiny way that I can help, and I'm glad of it.

      Delete
  2. What a wonderful gift of yarn and how lovely that you will be knitting things for others with that yarn! I'm sorry you are feeling dizzy! Hope you feel better by tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The gift of yarn felt like a hug, and it only feels right to pass that hug on.

      Delete
  3. I’m trying not to think of all the jumpers and cardigans I’ve knitted for me and others over the years🙄

    I know what you mean about 2 x 2 rib but years ago, I did a lot of moss stitch - madness!
    Sorry about your dizziness - be careful…
    Love Mary x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It must have been around thirty years ago. I sat around a table with my family, there were at least half a dozen of us, and everyone was wearing something like a sweater or cardigan that I had knitted except me! I avoid moss stitch wherever possible.

      Delete
  4. What a wonderful way to use that gifted yarn!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It came with hugs so I'm determined to pass them on

      Delete