Pages

Sunday 10 December 2023

That Time of Year

 We put up the Christmas tree.


And various swathes of tinsel and light. This is doing nothing for my nerves as I am supposed to be watching out for flashing lights because of my eyes and I'm surrounded by twinkles. Besides, I don't approve of the decorations going up so early. When I was a kid, the decorations went up on Christmas Eve. My mother had a plan. She had us run around getting decorations up, most of them made on the day, so that when it came time for us to go to bed, we were exhausted and went straight to sleep. You can see how that was a fail for her here

I've done some bits today and ticked off a few boxes. I got as far as the bins a few times and got a quick pic of Gladys. 


She's definitely been hit hard by the frost. I don't know what I'm going to talk about when she's sleeping until spring. 

We also had something of a Doctor Who marathon and watched the old episode where Doctor Who first met the Daleks, broadcast in 1963. Bear was suitably impressed. We're planning another session of Doctor Who tomorrow. I got some blanket knitted and it was incredibly relaxing. 

Hugs and good health to all. 

6 comments:

  1. Looks like you are all ready for Christmas! I still haven't done anything! I enjoyed reading your childhood Christmas memories. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Some of the memories are very good and the rest make good stories! If I had my way, we wouldn't see a twinkle until Christmas Eve lol!

      Delete
  2. I put some decorations out yesterday too. I don't normally do it it until a few days before Christmas, and wasn't going to bother at all this year. However, due to it being a pretty tough couple of years for our family I thought I would try to will some positivity into my life so got a few out but it is definitely a case of less is more. The cat is a bit bewildered as some of his favourite sleeping places now have glittery stuff on them so he is looking very festive at the moment. I will be going to my daughter's for the actual day and then hosting a family games day a few days later so have bought a couple of new games as my grandsons are now 17 (twins) and some of the old games are a bit too young. The next day the decorations are likely to be packed away again for another year as I really don't like "clutter".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds like a great family Christmas. Please pass on extra scritches to the poor cat. He'll miss the glittery stuff when it goes.

      Delete
  3. Your fuchsia has done wonderfully well. Most of ours are hardy ones now and left in the ground. In the summer out the front - south facing - they got scorched with heat and now don’t look good after frost!

    Let’s see what the winter will bring🙄
    love Mary x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was so worried when I thought that we'd lost her earlier in the year. It's one that my late father planted and I couldn't replace her. I'm sure that she'll be as vibrant as ever next summer.

      Delete