Pages

Wednesday 27 January 2016

I'll Think About It Tomorrow

I got a chance to go out today with an old friend.  We went into as many charity shops we could find and had a great catch up.  This meant that even less got done, my leg is sore and I am tired.  However I did manage to leave four carrier bags of jazz cds at the Oxfam shop.  I haven't got rid of a tithe yet, but it is a start.

Tomorrow I will postpone Day Three again.  Someone has kindly agreed to take me to a charity shop on Saturday and there is also the church bring and buy.  I can spend the next two days moving carefully between craft and sorting.

I am not sure about the quilting.  The quilt requires a 6mm seam allowance to work.  All the material is provided and all the measurements for the final squares to fit together rely on this, and that it is measured with reasonable accuracy.  I can do the measuring (probably) but it is a lot harder to measure the allowance and draw it in to hand stitch it compared to marking a line on the plate of the machine and stitching to that.  I have a lot to do before I have the set up to use the sewing machine - especially as I am really not confident about it.  I shall work something out!

I also need to find bear's school sweaters.  I bought four.  I can find one.  I need to wash it every day.  I think he has brought them all home from school.  I am always strict, but I only need to be distracted a few times and anything could happen.

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad you were able to go out and have some fun with a friend. And good of you to give away all those cd's! As for the quilting and accurate seam allowances, I suggest the English piecing method. You need to cut some thick paper like card stock (I use old greeting cards), to the dimensions of the finished patch (i.e., minus the seam allowances). Then, place the cut out paper on the wrong side of the fabric (cut with the seam allowances), fold over the seam allowances and tack them in place. Then, place two patches right side together and hand sew the pieces with an "over and over" stitch (also called a whip stitch). Ideally, one sews only the few threads of fabric that sits on top of the piece of card stock, without sewing through the card stock, itself. After the pieces are attached to each other and the patch is completed, one unpicks the tacking stitches and remove the card stock. For accurate seaming, the English paper piecing method is the best (provided the paper is cut accurately!)

    ReplyDelete