Pages

Monday 13 December 2021

Ranee - I usually say 'Merry Christmas' and 'Happy New Year' but I don't stress. Merry Christmas to you. I hope you have a wonderful and quiet Christmas. I agree that it's likely to be tough in the New Year. Thank you for your kind words about bear. I am so proud of him. 

Riverside Hermit - I am sooo proud of him. One of the lovely bits of yesterday was that he offered. I didn't ask him to help. He just did it! 

Sharon - Thank you. It's scary how time ticks away and before you know it you are facing decorating right before the day. Good luck. I bet you make them awesome! 

Ranee - Our home is over a hundred years old, but the coving was probably added by the previous owners about forty years ago. It's not a fancy place - it's right at the bottom of properties. There are nice bits and odd bits and DH and I have never grown up properly so we end up with weird stuff. On the mantelpiece opposite me as I type is a lot of dust, some random letters, a life sized flock covered raven from the last Halloween but one, the steampunk owl, a sort of weird plate that may be Swiss (inexpensive from eBay), a plaque with a copy of a Minoan fresco (extremely inexpensive from eBay), the clock my grandparents got for a wedding present in 1938 (doesn't go) and a pic of bear as a baby. The smoke stains from the candlesticks aren't really that bad, it just is showing more I think from the light. I think the pic above the mantelpiece is a few decades old, but don't know as it's one that father brought with him. 


None of it was particularly expensive except for the owl (I think just over £30 which is a lot for me) and the clock which was a good one when it was bought but has been overwound.

I type a lot of good things about bear. They are all true. I think that he is growing into an awesome young man. I don't feel I can take much credit. He seems to manage the whole 'mature and sensible' by himself. I don't put all bad things in. It could be that one day his kids could see what I have written about him. So me putting stuff where he's been mischievous or creatively awkward is okay, but I don't want to put stuff down that would embarass him. I am careful what I put about his friends as well. So I may grumble about being kept waiting, or trying to work out what to feed him, but there are some places I won't go. I hope that he extends the same courtesy to me. 

I have been so tired today that it hurt. The nightmares are really becoming a bother. But everyone is fed, everyone has clean clothes for tomorrow, and I remembered to cancel my Tesco order. 

Writing stuff - Today's snippet is here. I've also been trying some ideas about sharing stuff on Twitter and Instagram, but I don't know if it will help. I am so bad with pictures that I fail at Instagram in general and Twitter is scary. 

Hugs and good health to all. 

1 comment:

  1. I love the mantle, and the clock and the picture and I love the quirky bits sitting on the mantle. We have eclectic tastes, as well, and one item that I notice, just by looking around, is the Stitch stuffed animal, that talks when you ask certain questions. We love to mess with it with our cats because they try to figure out if it's alive. It's fun to watch them puzzle it out. Our home is 80 years old, so not new and also has the cove ceilings and arched doorways between the front entry and also between the LR and DR. I prefer older homes. The kitchen has been remodeled, so no idea how it was originally and the bathroom was remodeled since we have lived here, out of necessity. It was dirty and the tiles were falling off the walls and it was moldy, all of which has been resolved, to my delight. Much easier to clean. We have 4 cats, so we do not have a lot of things sitting out and about. Anything precious, is behind glass doors in 2 different china cabinets and believe me, it is a variety of different types of items, so I understand the difference in tastes and preferences. I say if it brings you joy, then it belongs in your home. Ranee (MN) USA

    ReplyDelete