Pages

Sunday 30 January 2022

Dithering!

Sharon - thank you!

Eileen - I hope you don't mind if I use that idea, though I will definitely be writing things down. I'm getting out the pen and notebook after this post as writing helps me frame my thoughts. Pictures of things that make me smile have had a massively positive effect on my mental health.

Cherie - I feel wonderfully hugged. Thank you for thinking of me. The paperback should be coming out soon, according to the publisher.

About kindle books - For the purposes of the next few paragraphs, please assume that I have written nothing more exciting than a shopping list. It isn't about me, it's about sharing what I hope is useful information. I subscribe to Kindle Unlimited (£7.99 per month and I'm determined to get my money's worth). I read the books on my phone. Occasionally I read them on my laptop, if I'm knitting and neither book nor knitting need much concentration. DH has been reading on his new iPad. My kindle died years ago. Amazon want you to buy books from them. They want to make it easy for you, so they have developed apps that will allow you to read on all sorts of devices. 

Kobo is another way of reading books, mainly for the booksellers not affiliated with Amazon. You can buy the ereader, but you can also download their app. Booksellers want you to buy books and will make it easy for you. 

I also need to mention Calibre. Calibre is an app which allows you to download all sorts of ebooks from all different sources. If you use that then you can read books formatted for all sorts of different systems. I cannot give a proper account because, while everyone else who talks about it loves it, I loathe it with the power of a thousand suns. It's great to use to read books. I keep meaning to make more use of it.

I also wrote an article on my writing blog back in September 2018 about finding free books, which you can find here. It's a little dated, but I've checked all the links and they still work. Ebooks aren't for everyone, and sometimes you need to have the paper version in your hands, but I hope that this has given some extra options.

I've been rough again over the weekend, so forgot about yesterday and I'm still feeling it today. On Friday I forgot to post that I walked back from the garage and saw this, which made me smile.

I just loved the touseled look of the bushes. 

Yesterday I managed to knit some dishcloths in sparkly yarn. Unfortunately, a ball makes almost exactly one and one half and I thought, what the heck and cast off. Though I'll probably just use two leftover halves from now on. I like the way they look, but I think I'll keep them for the dishes and not my face. They have a lovely texture so I'm pretty sure that they'll be great to use.


And today I collated some of the gazillions of 'bags for life' in one of those huge Christmas bags. I don't know about smile, but I felt very satisfied afterwards.


Now I shall drag myself to bed to get ready for the school run tomorrow. I'm dreading it with the new laws. I always have to overtake at least two cyclists every morning. I am not sure I will be able to under the new rules, and I am rubbish and judging 2 metres. 

Hugs and good health to all. 

3 comments:

  1. Those bushes made me smile, too! At first, I thought those bags were scraps of fabric and I thought, "Oh, she's going to make a quilt!" :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry you are still feeling rough, hope today's a better day. Thank you for the e reader info. I have a Kindle which I love, but also buy paperbooks from charity shops. I read them at night as I often fall asleep and books do less harm falling off the bed!
    Afraid I agree about cyclists, we live in the countryside where they delight in taking up most of the road cycling 2 or 3 abreast!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Of course I don't mind if you use the idea. It's not something I dreamed up for myself, it's advice that's easily available from lots of places on the internet, and the original advice is to keep a gratitude diary and update if every day.

    ReplyDelete